Welcome to The Beaded Heart Blog

Welcome to The Beaded Heart Blog
Two-Tone Crystal and Bugle Bead Bracelet,design by S.Eddy

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

"farfalle" beads

It's July. It's hot. And humid. But I now have central AC at home, so my two favorite hobbies, beading and quilting, are consuming me this summer season. Now that I feel my health is recovered, I can't wait to get my hands on beads and fabric...and sometimes spend so much time deciding which to play with, I don't get anything done! I'm sure you've never experienced anything like that!

In early May I went to a local bead show and one of the vendors had a type of seed bead I'd never seen before. At least, I think it would qualify in the seed bead category as it's small, comes in a container like seed beads do, and comes in lots of fabulous colors. The shape is similar to farfalle (or bowtie) pasta, except instead of being flared on the ends, they are rounded. Perhaps a description like a dog bone would be better. The hole is in the center and when you sew these together in a stitch like peyote, they nestle up to each other and form a lovely, dimensional, piece. I made a simple peyote cuff bracelet about an inch wide using sage green beads. It's simple, yet remarkable elegant. It could work dressed up or down. If you come across these funny little shaped beads, I highly recommend them. The look is definitely not run-of-the-mill.

TBH

No comments:

Post a Comment