Welcome to The Beaded Heart Blog

Welcome to The Beaded Heart Blog
Two-Tone Crystal and Bugle Bead Bracelet,design by S.Eddy

Monday, March 21, 2011

Selling Jewelry..so hard to part with it!

This weekend the Rhododendron Needlers Quilt Guild had their biannual quilt show. It was a fabulous success with more than 1600 visitors! We are a happy but tired group this Monday morning!

The show always features a members' boutique where guild members can sell items (either things they have made or things they want to get rid of, like old books and magazines). Ninety percent of the sale price goes to the guild members and 10% goes to the guild. Business at the boutique was always busy, sometimes bordering on frenetic. Most of the items were from the "I want to clear out space in my sewing area" variety, but some where higher priced items that people had made. My jewelry, starting at a low of $15 and going as high as $185 for a double pearl necklace, was the priciest on the table.

I only sold a few pieces because most of the time when people are shopping in a venue like this they are hoping to find bargains, not pay the appropriate price for a good piece of jewelry. That was fine with me. I knew that going in and didn't expect gigantic sales.

What I also didn't expect was to feel little tinges of anxiety when one of my pieces sold. During the creation process each piece takes on a little life of its own. They are fun to make. They are fun to hold and sometimes wear. And now they're not mine anymore!

Most of the pieces at this point in my collection are larger bracelets because that's the way I like them. I need a larger size and therefore things just tend to turn out in a size I can wear (I wonder how that happens?!) I really need to start making all of the pieces in the standard size range. I was able to give out my business card to several people (even though we really weren't supposed to "advertise") and think I've made some good contacts.

I also thought I should pass on information about one of the vendors at the show. The business is called "We Got the Buttons" and feature dichronic glass shank buttons in fabulous shapes, sizes, and colors. She also has wonderful pendants finished with sterling silver bails that would be terrific hanging on a beaded rope. I'm adding the email address to my list of favorites, just in case you want to take a peek.

Happy Monday!
TBH

No comments:

Post a Comment