Welcome to The Beaded Heart Blog

Welcome to The Beaded Heart Blog
Two-Tone Crystal and Bugle Bead Bracelet,design by S.Eddy

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Retreat

Sometimes words have certain connotations that can never be escaped. For many people, the word "retreat" has a negative implication, as in "We had to beat a hasty retreat." It's like falling back. Failing.

Escaping.

For me, that's what retreat means. I'm heading to a retreat this weekend. Actually, sooner than that. And I can't wait. Every year some quilting buddies and I go away to a small little hotel down on Cape Cod and for a few blissful days we just sew. Those who have demands of children or husbands or expect a complete dinner on the table every day at 6 p.m., they are no longer pulled from their machines just as they are hitting their stride. For those who create in the company of friends, it's the ultimate enjoyment.

Lately, many of my quilting buddies have also been bitten by the beading bug. This year, my beading supplies I'm taking to the retreat with me almost outweigh my sewing supplies. And instead of thinking lovingly of which sewing project I'll get out first, I'm consumed by thinking about crystals, wire, pearls, and clasps. Did I bring the right tools to do what I want to do? And what happens if inspiration hits and I don't have what I need on hand?

For years I've worked on making my quilting supplies portable so I can go take classes and be ready when a retreat beckons. Now I have to figure out a way to make my beading supplies equally mobile. It's a challenge I think I'm up to!

TBH

No comments:

Post a Comment