Welcome to The Beaded Heart Blog

Welcome to The Beaded Heart Blog
Two-Tone Crystal and Bugle Bead Bracelet,design by S.Eddy

Thursday, September 23, 2010

JaBS is born!

As I've mentioned in a couple of previous posts, a group of us who live south of Boston have gotten together and formed a new bead society. Actually, because several members don't do beading as much as metal work, we decided to name the group the Jewelry and Bead Society, or JaBS.

The cool thing about getting together is that we have a wide variety of talents already existing within the group which means there is a lot to learn from each other. We had signup sheets and asked people to list the types of things they want to learn. We have enough topics listed to plan programs for a couple of years! We are looking forward to the months ahead.

Our first "project" next month will be for everyone to bring stuff from their stash so each person can create a lanyard for nametags/membership cards. The goal is to have your lanyard express the type of work you normally do. If you do metal work, chain maille, stringing, whatever...your lanyard should say to others "Here is my comfort zone...here's what I already know how to do."

I usually bead. However, over the last 6 months or so I've been collecting some of the funky flowers and leaves available in lucite. It's not what I usually work with, but I've got a pretty good supply going now. I'm thinking I have to use some of it in my lanyard. Maybe my lanyard will look more like a lei!!

One of the challenges of starting the group is getting folks to step up and participate in the organization that is necessary for such a group to exist. We have someone who's a bookkeeper and is taking care of setting up a bank account, etc. I'm willing to set up programs. But we need a secretary and a president. No one at the first meeting came forward. I mean NO ONE. This is a dilemma, not only in a group like this but in our society in general. Everybody wants to play, but nobody wants to do the organizing that makes the play possible. It's frustrating as hell.

I sometimes think that folks worry about whether or not they would do something the right way. Hey, sometimes there isn't a right way. Just jump in and do what works for you and your style. And have fun. It's not rocket surgery, you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment